Rules of Thumb for Growing Tall Bearded Iris
Tall Bearded Irises are almost as easy to grow as 1-2-3.
They are not only resilient in many weather conditions and forgiving if we neglect them, but can be relied on to bring us joy year after year. Irregardless of whether you are a hobby or professional gardener, there are a few essentials that are helpful to keep in mind when caring for your iris. The following is a quick but useful reference of iris information and frequently asked questions:
Helpful advice for growing your Tall Bearded Iris:
- Minimum of 6 hours sunshine per day
- Good drainage
- Plant approximately 25 to 40 cm apart
- Divide every 3 to 4 years
- Fertilize late summer with a LOW nitrogen fertilizer, 2-0-20 (or similar)
- Fertilize in the spring with a high phosphorous fertilizer, 7-7-10 (or similar).
- Don't overwater
- Don't plant too deep, just below the surface of the ground.
- Remove dead brown foliage and bloom-stalks when last flower wilts.
Go to Iris4u Catalog »